We stand behind our reputation and will continue to serve our community with the values instilled by our funeral directors.
In 1917, Andrew Joseph (A.J.) Kucko began his career on Exchange St. in Akron. The business remained in downtown Akron until 1927, when the company constructed its second location on the corner of Grant and Wheeler Streets. Forced to move by Urban Renewal, Mr. Kucko opened his next facility at 123 East Waterloo Rd. in 1963. It was during the years at the East Waterloo that the funeral home experienced the most dramatic and in some events traumatic changes.
Mr. Kucko was forced to turn over the reins of the company he began to his son Tom Kucko following a serious heart attack. During Tom's tenure, the firm acquired a new name, Kutsko-Hecker. Kutsko was considered a phonetic spelling of the original Kucko and Curt Hecker, a long time employee of the firm was made a minority shareholder. Tom managed the company until its sale to his sister and her husband Patricia and Paul Anthony in 1969. Under Paul Anthony's leadership the firm name was changed to the Kucko-Anthony-Hecker Funeral Home and operated as such until the untimely and tragic deaths of Paul and Patricia Anthony on February 26, 1974. Following the defection of Mr. Hecker and a brief period of management by Mark Hayden (ending with his unexpected death in 1975) and James Burtchin, David Anthony assumed the helm and the firm became known as the Kucko-Anthony Funeral Home.
David eventually acquired full ownership of the firm and engineered the move, in 1987, to 95 West Waterloo Rd. with construction of a new facility. In conjunction with the opening of the new building was the merger with Stephen A. Kertesz of the Kertesz Funeral Home creating the Kucko- Anthony-Kertesz Funeral Home. In 1993, Dave and Steve added 7,000 square feet to the home, becoming the Akron area's largest facility and the first to provide a community room for memorial luncheons. In 1997 Earl Stampfle joined our family until his death in 2001. Our next project was the construction of a separate facility in the City of Green in 2000.